Skip to content
Daily Maintenance Tasks
- Check your fish for signs of disease. This can include physical damage, changes in appearance, or a lack of appetite.
- Check the temperature and make sure it’s within an acceptable range.
- Check the lights. Make sure they are still working and aren’t blown out.
- Make sure the filter is still pumping.
Weekly Maintenance Tasks
- Do water tests checking the ammonia level, nitrite level, nitrate level, and pH at a minimum. Respond accordingly to any levels that are outside of the acceptable range.
- Do a water change of 10-15% of the total water. Take this opportunity to vacuum the substrate.
- Wipe any algae off that has built up on the inside of the glass.
- Perform basic maintenance on any live plants. Trim dead leaves. Replant any plants that have been uprooted.
Monthly Maintenance Tasks
- Do a 25% water change.
- Disassemble your filter and clean it. Wipe off any algae that has built up on hard parts. Rinse out any soft parts (sponges, soft filters, etc) using aquarium water.
- By Toby Hudson [CC BY-SA 3.0]